For the uninitiated, Valentine’s Day is this Wednesday, February 14th. A little preparation is key since reservations are crucial at most restaurants serving a special meal for that special someone. There are dinner options at a range of South Bay eateries and we’ve compiled a list below in honor of love and capitalism.
South Bay Event’s List: Valentine’s Day Dining Options
- A Basq Kitchen Along Redondo Pier’s International Boardwalk, A Basq Kitchen, has a set menu for two available all week (Feb. 14 – 18). The menu for two includes shared plates: Oyster Duo (black truffle & pink peppercorn), Long Love “Sourdough” bread and a winter salad. Then select two entrees like Seafood Lovers Paella (only available Feb. 14), Seared Scallops, Oxtail Stew, or a Flat Iron Steak. Cost is $69 per couple. A Basq Kitchen is located at 136 N. International Boardwalk on the Redondo Pier. www.abasqkitchen.com
- Creme de la Crepe: An economical choice when you factor in quality and quantity. There are two Creme de la Crepe South Bay locations (Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach) helping to spread out the Valentine’s Day crowd. Both locations will be serving a prix fixe “Saint Valentin Menu” that comes with your choice of dessert crepe, an appetizer and main entree; cost is $49 per person. Creme de la Crepe in Hermosa Beach is located at 424 Pier Avenue & the Redondo Beach location is at 1708 1/2 S. Catalina Avenue in Redondo Beach’s Riviera Village. www.cremedelacrepe.com
- The Strand House Manhattan Beach: The Strand House prepares a four-course prix fixe Valentine’s menu with main course offerings: Seared Norwegian Halibut, New Zealand Rack of Lamb, Surf & Turf (w/ a Petit Filet & Prawns), or a Roasted King Trumpet Mushroom. Cost is $95 per person with optional $50 wine pairing (excludes tax & 20% service charge). Location: 117 Manhattan Beach Blvd, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 www.thestrandhousemb.com
- Lido di Manhattan Enjoy a special Valentine’s Day A La Carte menu with optional $38 wine pairing at Lido di Manhattan in Manhattan Beach. Love is in the Air Dinner features live music. Location: 1550 Rosecrans Avenue. www.lidodimanhattan.com
- Chez Melange Sea Change, the seafood restaurant within Chez Melange, is hosting a special Valentine’s Day dinner with a three-course prix fixe menu. Starting at $75 per person, guests can choose from 9 appetizers, eight main entrees, and four desserts. Options include Escargot Chez Toast with Stilton cheese, garlic, butter, and Brussels sprout leaves; Roasted Duck a l’Orange with orange sauce, wild rice, and butternut squash; and Apple Croustade with whipped cream. Seating is limited so call ahead at (310) 540-1222. Location: 1611 S. Catalina Avenue, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
- Matisse Restaurant Inside the Ayres Hotel along the 405 Freeway in Hawthorne is a little gem that often gets dismissed because of its location. The Ayres Hotel has a sophisticated atmosphere and could be a quaint spot for romantic nosh. Matisee is serving up a 3-course pix fixe dinner on Wednesday and reservations are available between 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. Click here to view the menu; cost is $75 per person. Call (310) 536-0807 to make a reservation.
- Nelson’s Valentine’s Dinner at Terranea: Nelson’s at Terranea presents a 3-course Valentine’s Day Special ($80 for two). Start with an Oyster Shooter Duet, then enjoy Surf & Turf Parmesan Risotto and finish with a Spicy Chocolate Mousse Tart for dessert. Nelson’s are located on-site at Terranea Resort, 100 Terranea Way in Rancho Palos Verdes. Call (310) 265-2836 to make a reservation.
- Zane’s In Downtown Hermosa Beach at the corner of Pier Avenue and Hermosa Avenue just in front of the pier sits a classic, stylish dining out spot that has put together four prix-fixe menus for Valentine’s Day. One option cost $39 and features Chicken Piccata or Butternut Squash Ravioli as main entree selections, while the $59 menu lets guest choose from either Filet Mignon or Chilean Sea Bass as a main. Fizzy drinks and martini specials available too. www.zanesrestaurant.com