Check out the South Bay Events’ full listing of what’s going on in the South Bay this Halloween weekend 2017!
The pomp and circumstance of Halloween takes over the psyche of the South Bay on Halloween weekend as horror movies, scantily clad maidens, house parties, and creative costume impulses become standard activities. Halloween is an awesome reason to party and this year South Bay folk will have at least one weekend plus Halloween night to relish in traditional rituals like bobbing for apples, bad decisions, bar-hopping, and costume critiques. This year October 31st falls on a Tuesday, so that means some of the action will be in the preceding weekend. So, before you rummage through your garage or pillage Salvation Army for a makeshift costume, check out Aaardvarks vintage costume & clothing shop in North Redondo Beach for all your Halloween dress-up needs.
Whether you want to join your family and trick-or-treat around the neighborhoods (see the City of MB’s Safety Tips), or join the mayhem taking place at local bars and parties, there will be lots to choose from this year. As Halloween gets closer, the South Bay has some pretty fun traditions that you just don’t find in other communities.
The Riviera Village in Redondo Beach runs all types of seasonal holiday events and this year the Village will be a mecca for families looking to score some solid trick or treating space. Ghosts and goblins will mix with princesses and super heroes as Riviera Village hosts the annual Halloween Trick or Treat on Tuesday, October 31st. Catalina Avenue will be closed to traffic from Avenue I to Palos Verdes Blvd., and the shops will hand out candy and treats from 4 to 6 pm.
Community tradition runs strong all over Halloween weekend in the South Bay as the 24th Annual World Famous Pumpkin Race rolls its Pumpkin Racecars just above Manhattan Beach Pier Sunday, October 26th starting at 12:00 noon. It’s a unique event that combines love for competition, creativity, and community. What started in 1990 by a group of friends has become an epic, single-elimination battle of self-styled pumpkins equipped only with two axles and two wheels. Creative carvings and pumpkin costumes are left to artistic interpretation. The 4th annual “Operation” Halloween Candy Donation run by local, Riviera Village dentists will be working with Operation Gratitiude this year. This worthy Halloween cause collects unwanted candy from November 3rd to November 7th that will eventually find its way inside a care package to individually named U.S. Service Members deployed overseas. Last year the collected over 2,000 lbs of candy with the help of Wahoo’s Fish Tacos, local Girl Scout Troops, local school’s and local residents.
The City of Torrance Community Services Department invites the public to enjoy the annual Halloween Carnival on Tuesday, October 31, 2017 from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Wilson Park, 2200 Crenshaw Blvd. The Carnival is a safe, family friendly alternative to trick-or-treating and will feature games, crafts, a photo area, spooky music by DJ Ozzie and costume parade taking place at 6:30 p.m. You can even stop by and check out the pumpkin decorating contest where 15 After School Club sites submit their most creative pumpkin decorations. Unlimited use wristbands are $9.00 per child and are required to participate in a variety of carnival activities that participants can win candy and prizes playing. Food trucks will be on site and available at an additional charge. The event will take place, rain or shine. Pets are not allowed at this event.
A fixture on the South Bay party scene for the past decade, the spirit of All Hallow’s Eve lives on in when the Portofino Hotel in Redondo Beach is transformed into a goulish night of screams and horrific monster mashing. The South Bay’s largest and best Halloween extravaganza goes by the appropriate moniker South Bay Scream this year and will feature a sound menu with over seven DJs for a night of hedonistic fun. One of the most celebrated Halloween costume parties in the South Bay mixes Hollywood and Vegas motifs. Highlights include the likes of DJ Splyce and DJ Quasar mixing & spinning on multiple dance floors, scary creatures, and state of the art productions. This year South Bay Scream will transform into a haunted house with help from an actual set designer. Click here to get your pre-sale tickets online.
Celebrate Halloween night along the waterfront with a good old fashioned costume party Tuesday night at BALEENkitchen. In true Halloween fashion, BALEENkitchen will be awarding first and second place prizes for costume contestants. Click here to find out what kind of prizes contestants can win this year at BALEENkitchen’s BAL-0-WEEN costume party.
For the slightly older crowd who will be substituting beverages for candy, here are South Bay Events’ picks for the best bets at local bars and clubs for Halloween weekend!
Tuesday, OCTOBER 31st:
- SHARKEEZ Manhattan Beach: FREAK SHOW Party – It’s going to be a FREAK SHOW at Sharkeez Manhattan Beach on Halloween night! A very creepy costume contest along with cash prizes, drink specials go down at the tannk this Halloween. Call 310.265.3386 for more info or to reserve a tbale.
- Shade Hotel: Halloween Circus – Shade Hotel in Manhattan Beach will channel a creepy circus theme to host one of the area’s best Halloween bashes on October 31 beginning at 7 p.m. The event is open to the public with no cover charge for admission. In addition to the Halloween carnival-inspired decorations, Shade Hotel will also offer specially crafted cocktails, a cotton candy machine, and an array of entertainment including a magician, tarot card reader & DJ. more info
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 28:
- SHARKEEZ Manhattan Beach: Dia de Los Muertos Party Join Sharkeez Manhattan Beach on Saturday November 1st as they honor the dead! Party starts around 9pm, come dressed in your best skull costume or get your face painted at the tank, cash prizes and drink specials too. Call 310.265.3386 for more info or to reserve a table!
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 31st:
- Saint Rocke: The Spazmatics Annual Halloween Rage Fest Party with your pants tucked up high and a stuffed pocket protector Halloween night at Saint Rocke when the the ’80s style, neard rock band, THE SPAZMATICS, take the stage around 9pm, costume contest & drink specials. more info
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 31st:
- Portofino Hotel & Yacht Club: SOUTH BAY SCREAM- The South Bay’s largest and best Halloween extravaganza goes by the moniker of SOUTH BAY SCREAM this year and will go down inside the Portofino Hotel & Yacht Club. One of the most celebrated Halloween costume parties in the South Bay mixes Hollywood and Vegas motifs for a night of hedonistic fun. Click here to purchase tickets online.
- BALEENkitchen: BALOWEEN Costume Party Ahoy Mateys! Join us for the 2nd Annual BALoween Costume Party, ‘A Pirate’s Night for Ye,’ on Tuesday, October 31st. The fun begins at 9:30pm with a DJ, live band, all night Happy Hour, drink specials and more! A Costume Contest for the Best Dressed Pirate and Best Dressed Pirate Couple will take place in the BALEEN Lounge with the 1st place winner receiving a 1 night stay at The Portofino Hotel & Marina and dinner for 2 at BALEENkitchen!
- Naja’s Place: Naja’s Halloween Party Najas annual Halloween Party/local brewery night starting at 8:00. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the costume contest. Beer specials all night. And Four Fingers playing at 9:00. Lets get Creepy! There will be a specialty beer from King Harbor being poured through a pumpkin.
There will also be dozens of Halloween parties and other small events going on…check out South Bay Events as the holiday approaches for updates!