Come surf for a cause! Enter the surf contest, no matter your skill level or experience. If you don’t surf, come join the festivities and watch some of the South Bay’s best in action.
On Sunday, October 15, 2017 we gather once again to celebrate Jimmy’s life and raise funds for Jimmy Miller Memorial Foundation Ocean Therapy Program. We hope you will join us for our one-of-a-kind Jimmy Miller Memorial Foundation Surf Fiesta.
“The Jimmy” is one-of-a-kind surf “contest” with a unique format which includes all levels of surfers: from first timers to rippers. Look for our all-day huge Silent Auction and Raffle on the beach and new for this year live auction at the beach during the break between round 1 and round 2. Snag some great surf stuff from our amazing sponsors, find an experience of a lifetime, and help the Marines, Veterans and children who benefit from our Ocean Therapy Program.
Proceeds: The proceeds from the Jimmy Miller Memorial Foundation Fiesta, aka “The Jimmy”, will be used to further the JMMF’s efforts to heal mental and physical illness and injury through surfing and ocean-related activities. Our mission is to carry on the legacy of Jim’s pure love of surfing by sharing the ocean’s power to heal.
Cost: $50 Cost includes contest entry, T-shirt, breakfast, lunch and chance to win some amazing gifts from local sponsors.
Awards & After Party: We will be changing things up a bit this year and will be doing some key awards throughout the day, a live auction on the beach, and the final awards will be handed out on the beach after the final heat of the day around 4:30pm.
Format: The Jimmy Miller Memorial Foundation Fiesta, aka “The Jimmy”, is a unique team surf contest that brings together surfers, friends, and family to remember and celebrate the life of Jimmy Miller. The Jimmy is designed to be fun and foster teamwork and friendly competition. Teams will consist a mix of team members from each skill level (A/B/C/D/E) from rippers to people who have never surfed before. Members will self-rate their ability and the Contest Committee will determine ultimate skill level and make up the teams. Beginner and first time surfers are encouraged and welcome.
1. Meet your team members when the teams are announced at 8am on the morning of The Jimmy.
2. Check-In and Board Selection: 15 minutes before your heat, gather your team members and meet at the Contest Director’s Table. Being there 15 minutes before your heat is mandatory for the day to run smoothly. Please know your heat time, gather your team members and please be on time.
3. Scoring: Each wave will be scored by three judges on a scale of 1 to 10. The three scores will then be averaged for your total wave score.
4. Each team will surf against another team with all team members in the water at the same time in a 15-minute heat. Each surfer on the team will be scored with their highest scoring wave counting toward the team total. Teams are encouraged to help each other to ensure that each member gets at least one wave. The team with the higher cumulative team score will advance to the next round.
5. Listen for the double horn to end the heat and start the next heat. A single horn indicates 5 minutes left in the heat. Please wait at the water”s edge to paddle out at the start of your heat. At the end of your heat (2 horns), please ride in prone position (to not confuse the judges) to the beach quickly so the next heat can get started.
6. Return your contest jersey to the proper bin and surfboard to the Contest Director area at the end of your heat.
Are there ID requirements or an age limit to enter the event?
Nope: All ages are welcome!
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
There is a big parking lot but it can get crowded and please be sure to bring quarters or a credit card for the meters.
What can/can’t I bring to the event?
Please bring a surfboard and whatever you need for a great day at the beach.
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Email [email protected]
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
No. We will have your name on the list
What is the refund policy?
Full refunds are available until the day of or can be turned into donations.
Visited 353 times, 1 Visit today