Grunion Run 2014 in the South Bay!
Check out the Hermosa Beach Grunion Run Schedule!
For those not familiar, Grunion
is a species of fish that flops onto the beaches throughout Southern California each year in a primitive ritual of spawning. South Bay residents and visitors are fortunate, as one of the main landing spots for the grunion is near 33rd Street in Hermosa Beach! If you want to try your hand at catching the squirming fishies, please note that a fishing license is REQUIRED for those over 16 - the Department of Fish & Game does show up and bust unlicensed fish wranglers on occasion.
One of the best tactics of spotting exactly where the grunion are beaching themselves is to look for gatherings of seabirds.
The times offered are merely guidelines offering a two-hour span in which spawning runs may occur at Cabrillo Beach in Los Angeles County. Subtract five minutes for San Diego, and add 25 minutes to find the time for Santa Barbara.
The 2nd and 3rd days of the 4-day run have the most action with the second hour usually better, and you have to use your hands to catch 'em, which makes it much more sporting.
In case you're wondering what the appeal of all this is- a) grunion taste pretty delicious, and b) showing up at the beach late at night
to catch wild animals should be attempted at least once!
2014 OPEN* Season in Hermosa Beach
16 Su 10:15 p.m. - 12:15 a.m.
- 17 Mo 10:40 p.m. - 12:40 a.m.
- 18 Tu 11:05 p.m. - 1:05 a.m.
- 19 We 11:40 p.m. - 1:40 a.m.
- 30 Su 10:10 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
- 31 Mo 10:35 p.m. - 12:35 a.m.
13 Fr 10:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
- 14 Sa 10:40 p.m. - 12:40 a.m.
- 15 Su 11:30 p.m. - 1:30 a.m.
- 15 Mo 12:25 a.m. - 2:25 a.m.*
- 27 Fr 9:50 p.m. - 11:50 p.m.
- 28 Sa 10:20 p.m. - 12:20 a.m.
- 29 Su 10:55 p.m. - 12:55 a.m.
- 30 Mo 11:30 p.m. - 1:30 a.m.
12 Sa 9:45 p.m. - 11:45 p.m.
- 13 Su 10:35 p.m. - 12:35 a.m.
14 Mo 11:25 p.m. - 1:25 a.m.
- 15 Tu 12:15 a.m. - 2:15 a.m.*
- 26 Sa 9:35 p.m. - 11:35 p.m.
- 27 Su 10:05 p.m. - 12:05 a.m.
- 28 Mo 10:40 p.m. - 12:40 a.m.
- 29 Tu 11:10 p.m. - 1:10 a.m.
10 Su 9:35 p.m. - 11:35 p.m.
- 11 Mo 10:25 p.m. - 12:25 a.m.
- 12 Tu 11:15 p.m. - 1:15 a.m.
- 13 We 12:05 a.m. - 2:05 a.m.*
- 25 Mo 9:50 p.m. - 11:50 p.m.
- 26 Tu 10:20 p.m. - 12:20 a.m.
- 27 We 10:55 p.m. - 12:55 a.m.
* Where the time relating to the expected run is after midnight, the date of the previous evening is shown.
Note: The Grunion Run Season in California officialy opens in March. However, the collection of spawning Grunion is prohibited in April and May!